Getting rid of ants can be difficult due to their opportunistic nature. Most ant species are able to nest outdoors and indoors in a wide range of places and these creatures can survive on a huge variety of food sources. To effectively eliminate ants you usually need professional pest control in Novi.
Apart from it you need to maintain proper outdoor and indoor sanitation and an actual pesticide treatment that contains a mix of professional grade sprays and baits. Follow the steps mentioned below to eliminate the problem.
1. Eliminate Food Sources Indoors
Removing food sources is one of the most crucial steps to eliminate ants and the pesticide treatment would fail if you do not implement this step well or completely eliminate it. To effectively block all the food supplies to the ants, you must –
· Clean kitchen appliances as the grease and food spills behind and under them can be food for ants.
· Empty and clean cabinets to remove crumbs and food spills.
· Store food in sealed containers of glass, metal, and hard plastics, as ants can access loosely closed boxes or cardboard packaging.
· Avoid keeping food in multiple rooms in your house, keep food in one room.
· Before sleeping, clean your kitchen well to remove all the treats for the ants.
· Clean or vacuum non-food areas of your home every few days.
· You must cover pet food contains tightly or empty them.
· Keep the garbage bins clean and covered.
2. Remove Water Sources Indoors
Ants need water for survival. You can get rid of ants if you –
· Fix sweating and leaking pipes.
· Dry all tubs, sings, and showers completely before sleeping and plug the drains.
· Put we sponges or dish rags in airtight plastic storage bag overnight.
· Empty drip tray in your refrigerator.
· You should also empty and dry pet water dishes at night.
3. Block Entry and Harborage Points
By sealing potential nesting and hiding spots ants will find your house less attractive. Ants multiply quickly. Moreover, if you do not block entry points, new ant colonies might form and infect your home.
· Seal holes around wires and cable pipes with copper mesh or other suitable material.
· Block crevices and cracks around door frames and window frames, around baseboards and other areas where you have noticed ants entering area with caulk.
4. Use Pesticide or Call Pest Control
Once you have sanitized your place and sealed all the entry areas, the next step is to either call a pest professional or use indoor ant sprays and baits. Calling professional becomes necessary if there are a huge number of ants around you while you can eliminate them yourself if they are less in number.
· You can use a non-repellent ant spray insecticide around doors, baseboards, and windows.
· You can employ protein or carbohydrate-based bait in cabinets, counters, and near sinks.
Using these techniques, you can get rid of ants in your home. Most species are not harmful, however, the presence of ants may lead to infections and illnesses due to food contamination.